Tuesday 12 January 2010

Keeping Up Appearances

I once knew a young man who had just been ordained to the priesthood. After a year, he was asked what his impressions were now that he had been on the job for 12 months. He replied, "Before I was a priest, I had no idea there was so much suffering in the world".

People hide it. You just can't go around being outwardly miserable all the time. It can be lonely, hiding, but it is worse when everyone knows. Much worse. But maybe I'm just being English about it.

I think one of the worst long-term effects of the hippie-generation, has been the idea that one must share everything.

No, really. That's OK. I don't want to know.

I don't want to be known either. So the blogging impulse is a funny one isn't it? Maybe I do want people to know after all. I just don't want them to know about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment